Cornerstone Builders’ Bus Project provides a free monthly bus service for New Orleanians who have loved ones in five Louisiana detention facilities:
- Louisiana State Penitentiary (Angola)
- Dixon Correctional Institute
- Raymond Laborde Correctional Center (formerly Avoyelles)
- Rayburn Correctional Center
- Elayn Hunt Correctional Center
At least once a month, the Bus Project rents a 55 passenger bus and makes the trek to different facilities from New Orleans, at an average cost of $1,200 per trip. Bus service has since been expanded to Shreveport, at an average cost of $2,000 per trip. There are two important objectives for the bus trips:
- to provide free trips for those who cannot afford it, especially families with small children
- to provide passengers with a stress-free and comfortable trip by hiring coach buses equipped with restrooms.
The rides often take more than two hours one way. The travel itself should be as stress-free and comfortable as possible for the family members.
Read more about Cornerstone in the WWNO article Cornerstone Bus Project Keeps Families Connected To Angola Inmates by Nina Feldman, Oct 2013